Monday, December 19, 2011

How to get to AOT in AX 2012 (Application object tree)

I was asked this question by someone who was a 3 year seasoned application AX person recently. This person knew enough AX development to be dangerous but was not a developer.  He never claimed to know dev but in talking with him, he knew his stuff.  Which brings me to the question that was asked, "How do you get to the AOT in AX 2012?  It doesn't look like you can anymore".  

I was kind of confused at how the person did not know the answer but then, after talking a bit, realized they would only access the AOT through the AX toolbar. I actually met 2 other people who I know did the same thing.  In AX 2012, the IDE is actually a whole seperate workspace in contrast to previous versions of AX which were all tiled together.  With this new configuration, that button is gone (or moved. I don't know. I never use it...).

Getting to the AOT is as easy as hitting Ctrl+D as long as your user rights permit it.  I could put up screenshots and get into the details but I think everyone who is involved in AX knows that the easiest way is the best way. Just hit Ctrl+D when you are in your AX instance and, BLAMMO!, a new instance/workspace of AX with the AOT will appear to you like a magic genie in a bottle. 

Easier and faster than ordering room service...  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Note in regards to user rights needed to access the AOT:

    In previous version of AX security, you could grant permission to the various user roles to access the AOT but restrict them from other things.

    In AX 2012, only assigning someone to the System Administrator role will give them AOT access.

    ReplyDelete